VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WVEC) -- A mother pleaded guilty Wednesday to Malicious Wounding and Child Abuse, acknowledging that she beat her 11-year-old daughter with a baseball bat.

The charges against Andrea Catrina Ghering were related to an incident that took place on November 26, 2016.

The Virginia Beach Commonwealth's Attorney's Office said Ghering left her daughter alone in their home on November 25, 2016 to go drinking with friends. Ghering told the 11-year-old she would be back in 20 minutes.

Hours later, Ghering returned to the home with a man, Wesley, with whom she had a previous romantic relationship. Ghering grabbed pajamas, told her daughter she was spending the night with the man, and said she would be home around 1 p.m. on November 26.

► Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WFMY News 2 App now.

After Ghering left with the man, her current boyfriend showed up at her home. The 11-year-old told the boyfriend where Ghering was. The boyfriend called and texted Ghering many times, but he could not get a hold of her.

When Ghering realized she'd missed texts and calls from the boyfriend, she and the former lover went back to her home around 1 a.m. on November 26.

The stipulation of the commonwealth's evidence states:

She went into K.B.’s room and began yelling, asking K.B., “What did you tell
him?” She then picked up an aluminum baseball bat that was in K.B.’s room and began
swinging it at the child. She hit K.B. in the face, shoulders, thighs and feet. When K.B.
raised her hands to block her face from the strikes, the defendant hit her in the hands with
the bat. K.B. left the room, went into the living room, and asked Wesley if he would take
her to the hospital. He said he couldn’t take her without her mother going, but gave her
some ice to put on her injuries.

The paperwork goes on to say that Ghering told a friend on Sunday, November 27 that she had left the 11-year-old girl alone, that the boyfriend came to the home, and the girl told him that Ghering was with Wesley. Ghering claimed that when she came home, she went to chase her daughter and the girl fell into a toy box. Ghering told the friend that the daughter's "face was messed up and she couldn’t send her to school the following day."

Ghering, who went to work that Monday (November 28), asked the friend to check on the daughter. The friend immediately saw bruising and swelling on the 11-year-old. She took the girl to her house and contacted the girl's biological father.

Later that day, the 11-year-old was taken to the hospital where doctors determined her left hand was broken. They contacted the Virginia Beach Police Department. The 11-year-old's documented injuries included bruising and swelling to both eyes, as well as bruising to the lip, right arm, left shoulder, right thigh, left hand, and left lower leg.

Gehring is scheduled for sentencing on November 13. There is no plea agreement. She could face a sentence between seven and 30 years.