UNION COUNTY, N.C. -- Union County Sheriff's Office is investigating a fatal fire that took place Sunday morning.

First responders responded to a call of a fatal fire in the 6000 block of Wolf Pond road in Monroe. Deputies say 75-year-old Chester Eubanks was attempting to light a wood stove in the shed using a flammable liquid.

Eubanks accidentally spilled some of the flammable liquid on himself before suffering fatal injuries from the fire, according to deputies.

Deputies ruled Eubanks' death as accidental.

Follow WFMY News 2 on Facebook and Twitter

► Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WFMY News 2 App now