SALISBURY, N.C. -- A North Carolina staple is celebrating 100 years! Cheerwine's celebrating its Centennial this weekend and you're invited.
Cheerwine's outdoor Centennial Celebration in Salisbury will celebrate "all things Carolina" with a N.C. BBQ competition, local food, independent bands and more.
The celebration is Saturday, May 20 from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. on North Main Street is Salisbury.
Joy Ritchie Harper, whose great great-grandfather started Cheerwine, joined The Good Morning Show to show up some of her favorite Cheerwine recipes for the summer. You can watch the video to see her Cheerwine Floats and Cheerwine Punch.
If you go to the Cheerwine Centennial Celebration, you'll enjoy:
- Free Cheerwine
- Limited Edition Cheerwine merchandise available for purchase starting at noon (limited quantities of commemorative Cheerwine signs and other items)
- Live Music from Time Sawyer, Gyth Ridgon, Empire Strikes Brass, Acoustic Syndicate and Roomful of Blues.
- People's Choice BBQ Competition (noon-2pm) sponsored by Smithfield, with Hog Heaven, NC Ribs on Wheels, Rocky Top BBQ, Boone's BBQ, and Smoke and Go. Attendees can sample BBQ from each team and vote for their favorites.
- Food from Cheerwine's partners and friends including Krispy Kreme Doughnuts (fresh doughnuts from the "Hot Now Mobile Store"), Bojangles, Biscuitville, Fatz Cafe, Select Bakery (serving Cheerwine Cake), Cackalacky, King of Pops, Johnsonville, Old 97 Kettlecorn and Charlie Popper's Kettle Corn.
- Biergarten featuring NC Crafts from Olde Mecklenburg Brewery, New Sarum Brewing and Morgan Ridge Railwalk Brewery.
- Family-Friendly Kids Zone with magicians, jugglers, rock climbling wall, obstacle course, slides, bounce house, lawn games and more.
- Free tour of Rowan County Museum's multi-room exhibit celebrating Cheerwine's 100 years. This includes a visit by the historic 1927 Cheerwine Ford Truck
- Non-Perishable Food Drive hosted by Food Lion Feeds and Rowan Helping Ministries to help end hunger in Rowan County. Fans are encouraged to make donations of non-perishable food items or money. For every two food items or $5 donated, fans will be entered to win a gift basket!
- Our State Magazine welcome center
If you'd like to go, you can RSVP on the event's Facebook page.
Stay connected 24/7 via WFMY News 2
For News Tips: email@example.com or 336-379-9316
Pictures and Videos: firstname.lastname@example.org