If you're driving for the holidays, the North Carolina Department of Transportation has a gift for you! They're suspending the majority of their road work for the holiday! The road work will be suspended from 6 a.m. Friday, Dec. 22, through 8 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 2. There are a few exceptions-- which are posted below.
Highway Patrol Troopers remind you to be safe as you travel. During the 2016 holiday season (from December 24, 2016 through January 2, 2017), Highway Patrol Troopers responded to 2,077 crashes. 735 of those involved an injury and 34 resulted in a death.
So troopers remind people they'll be on the roads focusing on speeders, distracted driving, seatbelt use, and driving while impaired.
EXCEPTIONS TO SUSPENDED ROAD WORK:
Vance and Warren counties
- I-85: Traffic is reduced to one lane in each direction from U.S. 1 at Henderson to the Virginia state line, as work continues on a project to replace or upgrade bridges and repair the deteriorating road surface on 20 miles of I-85.
- I-40 Business: All lanes are open during the day. At night, the left lane is closed in each direction near Peters Creek Parkway in Winston-Salem for bridge support work. Also at night, eastbound Business 40 traffic is detoured up the exit ramp, across Peters Creek Parkway, and back down the entrance ramp.
- N.C. 28 is closed for several weeks while road crews clear away the debris from a recent rockslide a mile east of Cable Cove Road, about 13 miles from the Tennessee state line. Drivers will need to detour around the slide using N.C. 143 and N.C. 129.
- I-85 Business: One lane is closed in each direction at the N.C. 8 interchange in Lexington, for a bridge replacement.
Currituck and Dare counties
- U.S. 158: On the Wright Memorial Bridge across Currituck Sound near Kitty Hawk, traffic is reduced to one lane in each direction, using the westbound span, while the eastbound span is closed to refurbish the bridge.
- N.C. 58 is closed in Emerald Isle for the privately funded construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Mallard Drive / Emerald Landing Drive, with traffic detoured via Reed Drive.
- U.S. 70: The eastbound right lane is closed at 7th Street in Hickory for a pipe replacement.
- U.S. 64 Business (Sunset Avenue) in Rocky Mount is closed between Buck Leonard Boulevard and May Drive for a bridge replacement.
- U.S. 441 Business (East Main Street) in Franklin is closed at the Little Tennessee River for a bridge replacement.