RALEIGH, N.C. -- North Carolina homeowners impacted by Hurricane Matthew's flooding are slowly piecing their lives back together.

According to FEMA, 27 North Carolina Counties are now eligible for disaster assistance. Information on how to apply for FEMA assistance is listed in this story.

The North Carolina State Emergency Response Team is offering the following information for flood victims filing insurance claims and applying for other assistance:

To file an insurance claim:

  • Contact your insurance agency as soon as possible and ask what to do until the adjuster arrives
  • Prepare an inventory of your valuables that have been damaged or destroyed; take pictures
  • Keep all receipts; reasonable expenses are generally reimbursed by insurance companies
  • Don't have permanent repairs made until your insurance company has inspected the property
  • If your home is uninhabitable, most homeowner's policies pay additional living expenses
  • Review the settlement steps outlined in your policy. If you are dissatisfied with the proposed settlement offer, explain your position.
  • Contact the Consumer Services Division of the NC Department of Insurance at 1-855-408-1212, your county cooperative extension agent or the NC Insurance News Service at 1-800-936-7475 if you have more questions about your claim.

FEMA disaster assistance:

Homeowners, renters, and business owners in these counties are eligible to apply for FEMA assistance: Beaufort, Bertie, Bladen, Columbus, Craven, Cumberland, Dare, Duplin, Edgecombe, Gates, Greene, Harnett, Hoke, Hyde, Johnston, Jones, Lenoir, Martin, Nash, Pender, Pitt, Robeson, Sampson, Tyrrell, Washington, Wayne and Wilson.

Assistance can include grants for:

  • Temporary housing
  • Essential home repairs
  • Uninsured and underinsured personal property losses
  • Other serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance

Applicants will be asked for the following information:

  • Social security number
  • Address of the damaged property
  • Description of the damage
  • Information about insurance coverage
  • Telephone number
  • An address where they can receive mail
  • Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit of funds

Residents can apply at DisasterAssistance.gov, 800-621-3362 or 800-462-7585.

Small business owners:

Business and nonprofits can apply for up to $2 million to repair or replace damaged property. For more information, call the Small Business Administration (SBA) Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 or send an email to disastercustomerservice@sba.gov.

Community resources:

Dial 2-1-1 or 1-888-892-1162 to speak with a trained call specialist about Hurricane Matthew assistance in your area. It's free and confidential. They can provide information on shelters, feeding sites and food banks, clean up assistance, etc.

Food and Nutrition Services recipients have until Oct. 18 to request replacement of their benefits if they experienced food losses that can be attributed to Hurricane Matthew.

The household must contact the county Department of Social Services to report the loss and qualify for replacement benefits.

For more information, call 2-1-1 or go to the United Way’s N.C. 2-1-1 site at http://www.unitedwaync.org/nc211. The 211 the service is free, confidential and available in any language.

Additional food assistance for citizens not participating in the Food and Nutrition Services program is in process as state agencies work with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to provide data that will be used to identify qualifying counties in the state.

In the meantime, citizens may visit their county Department of Social Services to apply for regular Food and Nutrition Services. Contact information for local county offices is available at: www.ncdhhs.gov/divisions/dss/local-county-social-services-offices.

Stay on top of News, Weather, Sports by downloading WFMY News 2 apps or signing up for our text alerts.

Get the WFMY News 2 Weather and News App

WFMY on Facebook

WFMY On Twitter

WFMY on Instagram