WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- As crews worked to restore power to thousands of people across the Triad, neighbors hunkered down in their homes on Saturday.

"We have no power and it's been really cold!" said Kenneth Cole, who lives on Ontario Street in Winston-Salem.

His neighborhood was without power for more than 4 hours Sunday afternoon.

"Luckily I've got some glow sticks from my daughter that she had, so we've been using that for light. And to stay warm, we've just been wrapping up in blankets," Cole said.

Your best bet if the power goes out is to have a generator in place, according to Assistant Chief Dwayne Church with the Greensboro Fire Department. However, he says you need to be careful how you use it.

"Keep the generator at least 10 feet away from your house and definitely keep it outdoors," Assistant Chief Church said.

Do not keep the generator inside because you could put your family at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning.

If you don't have a generator you'll have to stay warm the old fashioned way. Church recommends lighting a fire if you have a fireplace, gathering blankets and comforters and dressing in layers.

"We know that when it gets dark at night a lot of people will be using candles. So make sure those candles and that open flame is away from any combustible," he said.

You'll also want to unplug electronics and appliances to avoid a power surge that could damage your belongings when the power comes back on.