ASBURY PARK, N.J. -- An 11-year-old girl died after she was electrocuted on Saturday while swimming in a lagoon at a friend's house, according to authorities.

The girl, who lived in Newark, N.J., was with a friend on a raft in a Toms River lagoon when they touched the metal boat lift, and an "electric current appears to have energized the equipment causing the injury," police said.

The boat lift involved in the fatal electrocution had corroded and fallen into disrepair, Mayor Thomas Kelaher said.

PREVIOUS: Teen's Death Brings Electric Shock Drowning to Light

Kelaher said authorities were at the Tobago Avenue home Monday to inspect the boat lift.

The equipment was initially installed in 2001 and up to code, Kelaher said. Then the property, including the lift, was sold to its current homeowners, who do not own a boat and did not frequently check on the lift.

Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WFMY News 2 App now.

Over the years, the electrical junction box under the dock corroded, Kelaher said, and the victim fatally placed her hand on the metal frame. A GoFundMe account for the victim has raised over $10,000.

"You can't really blame anybody; it's a tragic accident," Kelaher said.

The girls were all wearing life jackets and in the presence of adults, police said. The two other girls were not injured.