KERNERSVILLE, N.C. -- On Saturday, veterans past and present were honored during a Veterans Day ceremony at Carolina Field of Honor in Kernersville. The memorial is one of the more popular ones in the Triad that honors veterans. Here are five fast facts about Carolina Field of Honor...
- It is the largest memorial to honor veterans on the East Coast outside of Washington D.C.
- It opened in 2014 and was constructed by the War Memorial Foundation Board.
- The memorial includes a 57-foot Granite Obelisk; flags representing the United States, North Carolina, POW, the five military service branches, a 2-tier water feature, and the Meandering Walkway with educational sign posts.
- Over 2,600 veterans are enshrined at the monument.
- Carolina Field of Honor stretches across more than 400 acres on the borders of Forsyth and Guilford Counties.
Copyright 2017 WFMY