BURLINGTON, NC - Car break-ins are on the rise at local parks and businesses in Burlington according to police. And in all the recent break-ins, thieves are targeting cars with personal items in plain sight.
As the holidays are getting closer Burlington Police want to make sure you, and your gifts, are safe and secure.
“We hope that this upcoming Holiday Season is enjoyable for everyone and we can continue to work together to reduce the chances of you becoming a crime victim.”
Here are some tips police have provided:
- Educate employees on safety procedures at closing and opening times.
- Install and use interior and exterior video camera systems.
- Install exterior lighting.
- Install and use alarm systems.
- Increase the number of employees during all hours.
- Carry small amounts of cash.
- Walk in groups and be aware of your surroundings.
- Lock your vehicle and residential doors/ windows.
- Do not leave items visible in your vehicle.
- Do not leave your purse or wallet unattended for any reason at any time.
Police also want to remind you that if you see anything suspicious that can be criminal activity call the police department at (336) 229-3500 or by dial 911. If you wish to remain anonymous please call the Burlington/Alamance Crimestoppers at (336) 229-7100.
Copyright 2016 WFMY