Burlington, NC -- A free electronic waste recycling event was held in Burlington at the Public Works Parking Lot on E. Summit Ave. from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.
The E-Waste Ban took effect on July 1, 2011. The ban regulates the disposal of electronic equipment. This ban does not allow for landfill disposal of electronics and computers.
The E-waste event collected home electronics, personal computers, personal electronics and other electronic items that are not permitted in the landfills.
Items that are no longer allowed to be placed in the regular trash and must be taken to a proper electronic recycling site include:
- Home Electronics: TVs, VCRs, Stereos, Tape Players, Radios, Fax Machines, DVD and CD Players, Telephones, and Rechargeable Batteries
- Personal Computers: Modems, Desktop Computers, Servers, Laptop/Docking Stations, Automated Typewriters, Copy Machines, CD-ROM Drivers, and Hard Drives
- Personal Electronics: Electronic Games, Mobile Phones, MP3 Players, PDAs, and Portable Calculators
- Other Electronics: Telephone Systems, Uninteruptible Power Supplies, Printer Circuit Boards, Routers, Power and Network Cables, Network hubs, Controllers, and Switcher Boxes
When recycling electronics make sure that all batteries are removed from items to be turned in.
If you missed Saturday's event, you can still recycle your e-waste at a number of other locations in Burlington. Some of the collection sites charge a fee for recycling, and some locations do not accept certain items, so call ahead.
Here is a list of other collection sites in Burlington:
- Goodwill Industries located at 2129 N. Church St.
- Goodwill Industries located at 2320 Maple Ave.
- A&D Environmental located at 3149 Lear Dr. ($0.50 per pound)
- Best Buy located at 1465 University Dr. (336-584-0297)
- Best Buy will recycle TVs 32 inches or less, as well as computers and assorted electronics.
Alamance County Landfill Convenience Center located at 2701 Austin Quarter Road in Graham ($38.00 per ton).
OE Enterprises located at 717 North Park Ave ($5.00 charge for TVs and Computer Monitors) 506-2532.
City Of Burlington