Stoneville, NC-A family of seven barely got out of the house in time after a fire that started in the garage destroyed the entire home, Sunday morning.
News 2's Liz Crawford talked to Marie Jones, one of the home owners.
She and her husband, Larry lived there with their son, daughter, and three grandchildren. Some of the kids didn't even make it outside with shoes on.
"We're very thankful that we have our lives, even our two little dogs but it's still hard to know that all the things that we had that were such good memories are just gone," said Marie.
The family said they know the fire started in the garage around three, Sunday morning, but fire inspectors haven't been able to determine the exact location.
Now, the house and everything inside is destroyed. The Rockingham County Chapter of the Red Cross has provided them shelter at a nearby hotel for three nights. After that, the Jones family isn't sure where they'll go.
"Until it's you, it doesn't really hit just how hard it is to know that after 43 years, you have nothing," added Marie.
If you would like to help this family or other families who've experienced tragedy, contact the Rockingham County Chapter of the Red Cross at 349-3434.
WFMY News 2