Detroit, MI - Federal health officials said 16 people in five states have salmonella food poisoning that has been linked to ground beef recall.
Half of the people reported to have food poisoning were hospitalized, but nobody has died as a result. Most of the cases were in Michigan, but some were also seen in Arizona, Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin.
One source that caused seven illnesses was an unnamed Detroit restaurant. The diners ate a raw, ground beef dish called kibbeh. The Centers for Disease Control noted that all the cases were connected to a beef recall of more than 1,000 pounds last week from two Michigan businesses.