Kernersville, NC -- A woman died after firefighters responded to an apartment fire in Kernersville Tuesday afternoon.
Officer Matt Long with the Kernersville Police Department told WFMY News 2 that the victim was a female in her 40s. He said the woman had a history of medical problems, so they don't know yet if the fire directly caused her death.
The fire was reported just after 3 pm at an apartment on W. Bodenheimer St. Emergency crews performed CPR on the woman, but were unable to save her.
Officer Long said the woman's boyfriend came home, saw smoke coming from the apartment and called 911.
The cause of the fire was determined to be grease that got too hot on the stove. Long said the burners were still on.
The victim's apartment was the only one affected by the fire.
Stay with Digtriad for updates.