Greensboro, NC - A family has been displaced and a man was taken to the Burn Center at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center after an early morning fire in Greensboro.
The fire started around 2:30 am at a house on Merritt Dr. Fire crews told WFMY News 2, there was heavy smoke coming from the home as they arrived to help. Two people were outside the home when they arrived, but one person was still inside.
Family members said they woke up the 41-year-old man who remained inside and tried to help him out of the house. They weren't able to get him out safely; firefighters assisted with the rescue.
Chief Lynch told WFMY News 2 the fire was caused by a space heater that was too close to combustibles. Smoke alarms alerted the family of the fire.
The man was originally taken to Moses Cone Hospital, but was transferred to Baptist for treatment.
The Red Cross is assisting the family with housing.
WFMY News 2