IRS: $21 Million Unclaimed From 2009; 26,000 Taxpayers In North Carolina Filed No Tax Return That Year

10:50 AM, Mar 18, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

(Internal Revenue Service) -- If you lived and worked in North Carolina in 2009, you may be missing out on getting your piece of a $21 million pie.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) said in a news release, they have refunds totaling more than $21 million that's unclaimed for that year. To get this money you have to do one thing you didn't do in 2009... file your tax return! 

The clock is ticking. The IRS says your return for 2009 must be filed by April 15, 2013.

According to the IRS, an estimated 26,000 taxpayers in the state did not file a federal income tax return for 2009. The IRS estimates that half the potential refunds for 2009 are more than $503.

Dan Boone with the IRS said some people may not have filed because they had too little income to require filing a tax return, even though they had taxes withheld from their wages or made quarterly estimated payments. In cases where a return was not filed, the law provides most taxpayers with a three-year window of opportunity for claiming a refund. If no return is filed to claim a refund within three years, the money becomes property of the U.S. Treasury.

Current and prior year tax forms and instructions are available on the Forms and Publications page of or by calling toll-free 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676). Taxpayers who are missing Forms W-2, 1098, 1099 or 5498 for 2009, 2010 or 2011 should request copies from their employer, bank or other payer.

If these efforts are unsuccessful, taxpayers can get a free transcript showing information from these year-end documents by filing Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, with the IRS or by calling 800-829-1040.

***The IRS reminds taxpayers seeking a 2009 refund that their checks may be held if they have not filed tax returns for 2010 and 2011. In addition, the refund will be applied to any amounts still owed to the IRS or their state tax agency, and may be used to offset unpaid child support or past due federal debts such as student loans.

Source: Internal Revenue Service

Most Watched Videos