LIVE VIDEO: News 2 at Noon    Watch
 

Hospital Fined For Explosion In Patient's Room

7:23 AM, May 5, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Durham, NC -- State workplace safety investigators have issued more than $9,000 in fines for serious violations from a fire that broke out at a Durham hospital as employees tried to resuscitate a patient last year.

The Department of Labor fined Duke University Health System, which owns Durham Regional Hospital, $5,600. Subcontractor Select Specialty Hospitals that leases space to care for critically ill patients was fined $3,500.

Investigators say employees at the hospital were using a defibrillator to try to save the life of 39-year-old Casper Simon Jr. in November when it short circuited. Staffers were also using oxygen on Simon, and the spark from the defibrillator caused a small explosion and fire. An autopsy determined Simon was already dead before he was burned. He was at the hospital after having heart surgery.

AP

Most Watched Videos