J. S. Pulliam Barbecue, Winston-Salem, N.C.: Chili Slaw Dog; It's called a barbecue place, but what most people seem to rave about Pulliam's isn't the 'cue, it's the dogs. These wieners are a fearsome dark red in color, nicely spiced, and bursting with juices. The buns are buttered and toasted, which adds a nice level of texture and flavor. Reader's Digest once called them "the best hot dogs in the South." Charlie Brinson via USA Today.
Greensboro, NC -- Some like it with mustard and ketchup, but others love their hot dogs all the way with all the fixings including chili.
You've probably even got your favorite spot like The Dog House in High Point, Yum Yum in Greensboro and then there's J.S. Pulliam Barbecue in Winston-Salem.
If it's a 'dawg' you want at J.S. Pulliam Barbecue in Winston-Salem, you'll want to go for the Chili Slaw Dog. According to Thedailymeal.com and USA TODAY, it ranks 14 on the list of America's Best Hot Dogs.
The Chili Slaw Dog is described as dark red in color, nicely spiced, and bursting with juices. The buns are buttered and toasted and according to Thedailymeal.com all the way is what "Reader's Digest once called "the best hot dogs in the south."'Plus if you want to add to it try a bit of Big Ed's Extremely Hot BBQ Sauce for a little kick.
Other Hot Dogs Worth a Mention
1. Fat Johnnie's Famous Red Hots, Chicago: Mighty Dog
2. Rutt's Hut, Clifton, N.J.: The Ripper with Relish
3. Hot Doug's, Chicago: Foie Gras and Sauternes Duck Sausage
4. Schaller's Drive-In, Rochester, N.Y.: Meat Sauce, Mustard, Onions
5. Olneyville N.Y. System, North Providence, R.I.: NY System Dog
6. Superdawg, Chicago: Superdawg
7. Rawley's Drive-In, Fairfield, CT: "The Works"
8. Katz's Delicatessen, New York City: Mustard and Sauerkraut
9. Flo's Camp Neddick, Maine: Hot Dog with Mayo, Celery Salt, Relish
10. Dew Drop Inn, Mobile, AL: Dew Drop Dog
11. Lafayette Coney Island, Detroit: Coney
12. Ben's Chili Bowl, Washington, D.C.: The Half-Smoke
13. Senate Restaurant, Cincinnati: Croque Madame
14. J.S. Pulliam Barbecue, Winston-Salem, N.C.: Chili Slaw Dog
15. Walter's Mamaroneck, N.Y.: With Homemade Mustard