Fire Department Closes Greensboro Mellow Mushroom

9:48 AM, May 20, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
Closing notice on Mellow Mushroom in Greensboro

Greensboro, NC -- Fire officials shut down the Mellow Mushroom restaurant in Greensboro Sunday.  A note from the fire department on the front door said the building was deemed unsafe.

Monday morning, a co-owner of the Greensboro Mellow Mushroom, Jim Waters, told WFMY News 2 a fire inspectors were at the restaurant and he was hopeful it would reopen Monday.

WFMY News 2's Tony Smith went to the business and learned otherwise. Crews were there drying out the business and the General said it will not be reopening on Monday. She said they can't turn on the electricity yet and crews are still trying to dry and repair areas that had water damage.

Waters said he believes heavy rain and a clogged drain on the roof may have caused a leak, which activated the fire alarm. "The fire department requires us to have the roof and electrical system checked out before they will allow us to open," Waters explained.

According to the notice left on the door Sunday, two things were cited as to why the business was ordered closed. One item was "conditions which constitute a fire hazard, or are otherwise dangerous to human life or the public welfare". The second item  stated: "unsafe wiring or heating system."

Waters and his wife own the Mellow Mushroom in Greensboro.

WFMY New 2

Most Watched Videos