Greensboro, NC - A little boy was seriously injured in Lexington when his father accidentally ran over him with a lawnmower Monday.
The 5-year-old boy will have to get his leg amputated.
A similar accident happened in Greensboro four years ago. WFMY News 2's Morgan Hightower spoke to the family about their story and warning for parents.
"It only takes a split second to drop that guard. And i would have never thought, i never would have thought, but it did. It happened."
Four years ago, James Wimbley was mowing his lawn. His 2-year-old son Jayme, was riding on the lawnmower with him.
"He decided he wanted to get off the mower, so I let him off the mower and I watched him go until he got out of my sight," explained Wimbley. "Then I didn't see him again until I backed the lawnmower up, and the lawnmower choked off."
"And I looked down, and I'd seen a little shoe."
"His little leg was wrapped and twisted up around the blades and the shaft," added Wimbley.
Jayme was rushed to the emergency room and spent two months in the hospital, undergoing multiple surgeries.
His hip was broken, and his leg bone snapped in half. He lost a lot of muscle and had to fight off infections.
"They said he would most likely never walk again."
But he is. Jayme runs and plays like any other 6-year-old boy.
"You'd be surprised how fast he is. If you don't believe me, try to catch him," said Wimbley.
Accidents like Jayme's don't usually have an ending like his. Wimbley is urging all parents to be extremely cautious when mowing the lawn.
"Think about what you are doing when it comes to a child because that child wasn't there, and then that child was there-- just that quick."
"You have to be extra careful. You have to have eyes in the front and the back. And your ears have got to be keyed in," said Wimbley.
Now, when Wimbley has any type of equipment on outside, whether it's a lawnmower or a weed eater, Jayme goes inside. He says it's the best practice.
"It rips me, it rips me every day but the main thing of it is though, at the end of the day when I come home, I see that little boy, he runs outside, he meets his daddy. I love my son and my son loves me," said Wimbley.
Jayme's right leg is about two inches shorter than his left. He might need additional surgeries and therapy but his doctors and his family say, he is a miracle.
"He is a strong little boy," added Wimbley.
Listed below are safety tips from the American Academy of Pediatrics:
Make sure that children are indoors or at a safe distance well away from the area that you plan to mow.
Read the lawn mower operator's manual and the instructions on the mower.
Do not mow during bad weather, such as during a thunderstorm.
Do not mow wet grass.
Do not mow without enough daylight.
Clear the mowing area of any objects such as twigs, stones, and toys, that could be picked up and thrown by the lawn mower blades.
Make sure that protective guards, shields, the grass catcher, and other types of safety equipment are placed properly on the lawn mower and that your mower is in good condition.
If your lawn mower is electric, use a ground fault circuit interrupter to prevent electric shock.
Never allow children to ride as passengers on ride-on lawn mowers or garden tractors.
WFMY News 2