LIVE VIDEO: News 2 at 11 PM    Watch
 

After Fire, Students Move Into Spartan Village Apartments

7:26 PM, Aug 14, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

GREENSBORO -- It's been five months since the fire at UNCG's Spartan Village Apartments.

Firefighters said a propane heater caused the fire in the apartment building that was still under construction. That fire started on the second floor and spread to the attic because sprinklers were not yet installed. It caused $12 million worth of damage.

No one was hurt in the fire.

Wednesday, there was a much different scene at the off-campus apartments. Chancellor Linda Brady gave her State of the Campus address Wednesday morning and welcomed students to the brand new Spartan Village Wednesday afternoon.

While the loss did take a toll on the apartment community, housing leaders say the focus is on building a community.

"It's really more about Spartan Village. You're the first to live here," said Coretta Walker, assistant director for residence life at UNCG. "We're happy to have you. Come make memories versus be adjacent to the building that burned down."

And, students and staff were all smiles as they unloaded and unpacked.

Only one building was harmed in that fire back in March.
Students were able to move into the other three remaining buildings Wednesday.

Each building holds roughly 200 students. Walker says the school expects to open the fourth building in early 2014.

 

 

 

 

WFMY News 2

Most Watched Videos