RALEIGH, NC - The North Carolina National Guard has postponed normal drill training this weekend because of the partial federal government shutdown that's already led to furloughs for more than 950 guard civilians and uniformed members.
Guard spokesman Maj. Matt DeVivo said Friday the training typical of citizen soldiers and airmen one weekend a month will be rescheduled - hopefully soon - when the fiscal showdown in Washington ends.
The guard announced the furloughs earlier this week because of the lapse in federal funding. About 800 guard members are still working on active duty performing mostly emergency and security functions.
Adjutant General Maj. Gen. Gregory Lusk told colleagues he knows furloughs will provide hardships for many guard members.The North Carolina guard has 11,500 soldiers and airmen based at 96 locations.