LIVE VIDEO: Good Morning Show Weekend    Watch
 

Cause Of DH Griffin Fire In Greensboro Determined

6:24 AM, Oct 30, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- The Greensboro Fire Department has determined Friday's massive fire at D.H. Griffin was caused by static electricity or an electrical spark that occurred during the process of transferring powdered metals.

The fire department said it made its conclusion based on information gathered from company employees. Those employees said moments before the fire happened, a heavy machinery operator was using an energized magnet to transfer powerdered metals into the pile that eventually caught on fire.

During the metal transfer, static electricity or an electrical spark caused a flash fire in the powerdered metal. That flash fire subsequently ignited other materials, and the fire grew larger.

The fire department said because of the magnitude of the fire, it cannot determine which of the two possible ignition sources--static electricity or an electrical spark--actually ignited the fire.

On Friday, people around Greensboro could see the fire from miles away from its source on 4700 Hilltop Road.

No one sustained serious injuries in the fire.

The fire department has concluded its investigation.

WFMY News 2

Most Watched Videos