GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Beginning next week, drivers will see more signs and officers on Battleground Avenue in Greensboro.
Greensboro police confirmed it will begin a new traffic enforcement campaign starting Jan. 7 on Battleground Avenue, from Cornwallis Drive to Horse Pen Creek Road.
The department said drivers will see signs for the campaign Monday. Officers will be stationed along Battleground Avenue on Tuesday.
Greensboro police spokesperson Susan Danielsen says the goal of the traffic campaign is to reduce crashes, unsafe driving, distracted drivers and speeding. She also said this campaign will use similar methods to the Wendover Avenue traffic campaign earlier this year. Officers issued a total of 947 citations during an eight-week trial from August to October. The citations were primarily for speeding (above 45 m.p.h.) and drivers' failure to wear seatbelts.
Danielsen said there is no additional cost for this traffic campaign. The department will use existing resources.
The police department will not release the numbers and information on why it chose Battleground Avenue for this traffic campaign until next week.