O'Charley's Reopens After Employees Get Sick, Fire Department Finds High Levels Of Carbon Monoxide

11:30 PM, Jan 4, 2014   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Greensboro, NC-- O'Charley's restaurant was evacuated Friday night after the fire department found high levels of carbon monoxide. The restaurant reopened Saturday afternoon.

According to the Greensboro fire department, a handful of employees felt nauseous Friday evening. Crews responded to a medical call when the fire department decided to test carbon monoxide levels in the restaurant.

Pete Adderton with the Greensboro fire department told WFMY News 2 that levels were dangerously high.

The fire department evacuated all employees and patrons around 8:30 p.m.

EMS monitored roughly 10 employees. No patrons reported feeling sick. A manager told WFMY News 2 all employees are feeling better.

As of 10 p.m. Friday, levels were back down after the fire department turned off heating and cooking appliances.

Carbon monoxide can be dangerous inside your own as well. Firefighters say they encounter more problems with the gas during the winter months.

"People will do things to try to generate heat in their homes such as bringing in a grill and opening up a grill or bringing a generator inside the home. If you're running something that runs on fuel, it needs to be exhausted. It needs to be outside," Greensboro Fire Department Captain Jamie Harvey said. "If you use natural gas to heat your water, if you have gas logs, if you have gas heat, you definitely want to have a carbon monoxide detector. Any failure of venting or any form of incomplete combustion could raise the carbon monoxide levels in your home."

In addition, even if you do place a generator outside, ensure you do not place the device too close to a window.

"That carbon monoxide will funnel inside your home. You do want to have it far enough away so that it's getting swept away into the atmosphere. It's not a danger when it's outside. It's a danger when it's compartmentalized and it builds up," Harvey said.

Learn more about carbon monoxide poisoning.  

Greensboro Fire Department

Most Watched Videos