10-Year-Old Overdoes on Cannabis-Infused Gummy Candy: Police

RAMAPO, N.Y.  -- A boy in a northern New York City suburb suffered a health scare after eating sour gummy candy infused with medical cannabis, reports CBS New York.

Police in Rockland County say the 10-year-old's father allowed him to sit in the family car by himself, where he discovered a pack of the laced treats.

After eating some of the sour gummies, the boy suffered from the effects of THC and was taken to the hospital, according to police.

Officers from the Ramapo Police Department were called to the emergency room and told the boy had ingested at least one piece of the candy containing 250 mg or more of THC.

He was treated and released. His father, 37-year-old Ephraim Zagelbaum of Spring Valley, was arrested and charged with endangering the welfare of a child.

Zagelbaum was released from police custody on his own recognizance as the "candy" was taken into evidence for proper testing and weighing.

Additional possession charges against Zagelbaum are pending.

►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WFMY News 2 App now.

© 2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
TRENDING VIDEOS