Woman Dies After Eating Oysters

JASPER COUTNY, Texas -- A woman from southeast Texas died after eating contaminated oysters.

According to health officials, 56-year-old Jane White Cunningham, of Jasper County, Texas, experienced a severe infection after consuming the oysters, which were contaminated with a bacteria called vibrio, CBS Dallas-Fort Worth reports.

Vibrio is found in coastal waters, especially warmer areas where oysters live.

Authorities say Cunningham's legs and an arm were subsequently amputated in an effort to cure the infection, but it wasn't enough.

"If you get typical food poisoning with vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, and you've had raw oysters, you ought to consider this infection," said Dr. David Winter. "If you've got those symptoms, you need to get to the emergency room right away and get treated."

Some people only get the food poisoning symptoms with some forms of vibrio gastroenteritis.

According to Winter, it's best to eat oysters fried, not raw. 

► Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WFMY News 2 App now.

© 2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
TRENDING VIDEOS