PLEASANT GARDEN, N.C. – Firefighters evacuated 15 to 20 homes in Pleasant Garden Tuesday morning before crews repaired a gas leak.
The fire department responded to the leak around 5:30 a.m. Tuesday on Hunt Road, past Baswell Road.
Pleasant Garden fire chief Ray Smith said there are no longer any health concerns. First responders allowed people to return to their homes around 7 a.m.
A WFMY News 2 reporter said the air no longer smells like gas, but Smith said the fire department is now receiving calls from people in neighboring areas who say they smell gas. Smith said cloud cover is holding in the smell, but the gas levels are not dangerous.
Smith told WFMY News 2 the leak was a "malfunctioning of the system" owned by Piedmont Natural Gas.
The affected area of Hunt Road is still closed while firefighters and a hazmat team continue to check for hazards.