2 Wants To Know: What Happens to Abandoned Vehicles?

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- With a big storm like the one the Triad experienced this week, it's common to see abandoned cars. Who has the right to tow vehicles?

Various police departments and highway patrol are all saying the same thing: They are leaving stranded cars alone unless they're blocking traffic or getting in the way of the snow plows. However, if they do have to tow it, they do not have to warn the driver first.

The next question: How does a person find their car?

We have phone numbers for people to call in case their vehicle is stranded:

If the vehicle is in Winston-Salem, call 773-7700.

Greensboro call 373-2433 or 373-2287.

If the vehicle is abandoned along the highway outside the city limits, call 919-733-3861.

Police said they don't have the Magic 8 ball. People need to be able to give the police the location of where they left their car. It's also important to have either the VIN number or tag number.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment