GREENSBORO, NC -- 2WTK is getting calls from your neighbors about a message they're getting from the Internal Revenue Service. Or really, we should say, someone claiming to be from the IRS.

The caller claims there is a deficiency in your income tax and threatens that if you don't return the call, legal action will follow

Just the thought of the IRS and legal action makes people squirm. But IRS Spokesperson Mark Hanson says if you're in trouble you would know it before this call.

"People need to know first and foremost. If the IRS needs to contact you, you're probably going to get a notice, in the mail from the US Postal Service, the good old fashioned way, first. You're not going to get a random phone call out of the blue."

Mark says if you're still hearing that little voice in your head that says, "What if it's true?" all you have to do is call the main IRS 1-800-829-1040 -- not the number left on your voice mail.

Make a formal complaint by contacting the Treasury Inspector General.

Some of you have also asked for help finding the right tax help. The IRS has a tax helpline and a list of places they recommend to get tax help for free. (see below)

But if you pay to have your taxes done, whether it's a chain or an individual Mark Hanson says be aware of the terms of payment and how that could affect your return.

"From the IRS standpoint, we're concerned with you submitting a complete, partial and accurate federal income tax return by April 15th or filing any extension or paying any taxes you owe. If you seek the services of a paid professional, that's an option and more than 60% of taxpayers exercise that option each year. You need to make sure you're picking somebody you can trust."

When choosing a tax preparer, do your homework search "choosing a tax preparer" on

You have the right to ask for a written estimate. It should list the total cost for all charges related to the tax preparation service.

You also have the right to put in writing the highest cost you will pay over the estimate.


*efile DIY with the IRS to e-file online. DIY method.

*Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is available if you earned less than 52,000 in 2014. Keyword VITA on or contact local United Way.

*Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) available for qualifying seniors. Contact AARP.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment