Attack Victim's Sister: "We're Thankful She's Alive"

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- The sole survivor of Monday's double homicide and suicide in Greensboro is slowly recovering.

Menice Smith attacked Debbie Greene Huffines at the Greensboro Post Office where she worked. Debbie's sister, Phyllis Harding, says her sister was just sorting mail when she was attacked without warning. After Smith left, Debbie called 911 and told the operator she was going to bleed to death.

Phyllis says Debbie is still in shock. "They were cordial. She saw him coming in and out of work. There was never a harsh word and she said it's just a puzzle to her and she will spend the rest of her life wondering why."

Debbie is 52 years old and married with two children. "She's a great person," said Phyllis. "Best sister you could ever ask for, best friend you could ever ask for, best daughter you could ever ask for."

Her family members say they'll sit by her hospital bed until she can go home. Phyllis says it's heartbreaking for the family to think about what Debbie went through. "Seeing her suffer, knowing the fear that she felt. That's the hardest part. And laying and watching her in despair, watching her suffer."

Debbie's sister anticipates a lot of physical and emotional therapy for her older sister, but she's focused on the positive. "We're just celebrating her life, thanking God that she's alive. That's the main thing. We're not trying to dwell on any of the bad, we're just thankful she's alive."

Greensboro Police say they don't know if Debbie was the intended target, and they might not ever know. Police say based on her injuries, Debbie is lucky to be alive.

WATCH: Police Identify All Three Victims

We're also learning more about Smith. He worked for at least two Greensboro barbershops over the past 20 years. We spoke to people who worked with him as well as someone who was his client. They all say he was always a nice guy.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment