NAGS HEAD, N.C. (WVEC) -- Hotel guests were awoken to an evacuation, Saturday morning.
Emergency crews were called to the hotel at 3:52 a.m.
Fire crews were dispatched to the Nags Head Comfort Inn. The hotel is located in the 3000 block of Old Oregon Inlet Rd.
Guests were evacuated from the building.
Scene of fire crews responding to our hotel overnight when the storm soaked an AC unit, causing it to billow smoke. pic.twitter.com/qzARNLdlj0— Eric Kane 13News (@13EricKane) September 3, 2016
13News Now crews are staying at the hotel while covering Tropical Storm Hermine. Reporter Chenue Her has said that there was smoke in the hallways of the hotel.
Guests are being allowed to stay in lobby as fire crews investigate. Chief hoping to have it resolved soon. pic.twitter.com/L2kfrFjxPC— Eric Kane 13News (@13EricKane) September 3, 2016
Guests were allowed back to their rooms around 4:45 a.m. except for one room on the 6th floor.
Hotel employees told 13News Now Eric Kane that the fire was started after an AC unit in a room short circuited.
Copyright 2016 WFMY