Winston-Salem Hostage Released, Suspect Surrenders

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Police say the suspect who is believed to have held a family member hostage at the Travelers Inn in Winston-Salem for more than 24 hours has surrendered.

WFMY News 2 reporter, Chad Silber, reported just after 3:30 p.m. that Christopher Shane Jenkins surrendered.

Early Tuesday afternoon, police said the 16-year-old hostage was released.

The incident was reported late Monday morning at the Travelers Inn on University Parkway, and police evacuated the hotel and nearby businesses after responding to a tip about a hostage situation at the location.

Krispy Kreme employees say Winston-Salem police told them to stay away from windows and then to evacuate.

King police say Jenkins is wanted for aggravated assault in Virginia and has several warrants for his arrest in North Carolina.

He was also involved in a chase with law enforcement officials Sunday, after he would not cooperate with King police during questioning.

The Red Cross says they were called earlier Monday afternoon and have a team volunteers responding on scene.

WFMY News 2 Reporter Mark Geary talked to King Police about Jenkins' previous involvement with authorities.

According to King Police Chief Paula May:

Jenkins has the following outstanding warrants in King (all from this weekend):
2 Counts: Resisting Public Officer
Reckless Driving
No Operator's License
Assault With A Deadly Weapon on a government official
Felony Flee to Elude
Speeding in a work zone over 80 mph

Jenkins has the following outstanding warrants in Forsyth County:
Unserved order for arrest
Assault on a female (10/1/2013)
Harassing phone call (8/26/13)

Jenkins has the following outstanding warrants in Greene County, Virginia:
3 Counts: Aggravated Sexual Assault

Chief May says the standoff situation actually began this weekend in King at a Waffle House. Jenkins was in the parking lot and someone reported his activity was suspicious. When King police arrived, Jenkins and a passenger drove at the officers and almost hit them, Chief May said. There was a chase that ended in Surry County when Jenkins called 911 and threatened to harm the passenger if the officers wouldn't stop chasing him. Chief May says Surry County asked the officers to stop.

"Typically, that would not happen. The pursuit would not end. But, there was very limited information that the officers had. They were under the assumption that a lot more information was being had by communications," Chief May said.

Chief May says authorities are trying to determine why the chase was called off because that is not the typical protocol.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment