ALBANY, N.Y. — Mark David Chapman, who gunned down Beatles legend John Lennon in 1980, was denied parole Friday for the eight time, the New York Department of Corrections announced.
"After a review of the record and interview, the panel has determined that if released at this time, there is a reasonable probability that you would not live and remain at liberty without again violating the law," the panel said in a report.
Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times in front of his wife, Yoko Ono, and others. He was sentenced in 1981 to 20 years to life in prison after pleading guilty to second-degree murder.
An attorney for Ono said Friday that she had no immediate comment.
The 59-year-old Chapman, who first became eligible for parole in December 2000, will next appear before the parole board in two years. The state also released a new mugshot of Chapman taken on June 1, 2013.
The panel continued that "your release would be incompatible with the welfare of society and would so deprecate the serious nature of the crime as to undermine respect for the law."
The Daily News first reported on Friday's decision, which also noted how Chapman stalked and waited for his victim.
"This victim had displayed kindness to you earlier in the day, and your actions have devastated a family and those who loved the victim," the panel said, alluding to Lennon signing a copy of an album for Chapman on that fatal day.