Josh Harris Returns To Wake Forest Football Practice

8:23 PM, Aug 12, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Written By Wake Forest Sports Information Dept.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Wake Forest senior running back Josh Harris returned to practice on Monday, August 12, after having his eligibility restored by the NCAA on Friday. Harris departed his home in Duncanville, Texas and made the 1,100 mile journey, arriving on campus late Saturday night.

He will need to have two practices in helmet only and two practices in shells (helmet, shoulder pads) before he can go through a fully padded workout.

"I feel good for Josh," said head coach Jim Grobe. "I was worried about him. Our No. 1 goal is to win the ACC Championship but we want guys to graduate. We've got to get him through the trainers and get them and the doctors to give him the green light (to practice). He's got to go through the (5-day) acclimatization that the other guys had to go through. We've got to be really careful.

Our guys have had the whole second session of summer school where they've worked with (strength and conditioning coach) Ethan Reeve."

Harris enters his final campaign ranked 14th in school history with 1,760 career rushing yards. He has scored 14 career rushing touchdowns in 31 games including 20 starts.

His top rushing game was 241 yards vs. Virginia Tech in 2010. He also added 100-yard rushing games against Army (129 yards) in 2012, Florida State (136) in 2011 and Vanderbilt (138) in 2010.

"I am so excited to be back," said Harris as he hit the practice field on Monday morning. "It feels good to be back at Wake with all my teammates. It was (difficult) to not know your future. I am happy to be back. It's easy to take things for granted because you think it will always be there but as soon as you see that it's not, it makes you a lot more appreciative."

Harris did not spend his summer idly sitting by and waiting for his NCAA appeal to be approved.

"I am ready," said Harris. "I spent all my time at home, not knowing whether I would be coming back was so stressful. I spent all my time running and lifting so (my situation) wasn't always on my mind. As soon as I found out the news, I made sure I got here as soon as I could. I drove 16 hours straight, I was so excited to see my coaches and teammates. At home, I really thought I might not see this again so I feel very blessed to be here."

Most Watched Videos