GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Greensboro Police say a 15-year-old died on Saturday, September 30 after he was badly injured in a fight at a Greensboro house on September 24.
Police say they are still investigating the incident and don't have much new information to share. The police department issued a news release Monday.
WFMY News 2's Ben Powell learned more about the teenager, 15-year-old Jaden West, Thursday.
Who was the 15-year-old Jaden West?
- His name is Jaden West
- He played JV Football for Dudley High School
Dudley Highs Principal Rodney Wilds says West's death has been hard on students.
"Anytime a young person leaves this earth in terms of death, it's always tough," said Wilds. "I don't have the words other than it's very tough. Your aren't prepared for it. You never can be prepared for it."
Wilds says students and staff are comforting each other and being their for each other.
The school has brought in grief counselors to help students who are having a hard time.
"We just try to be there for each other and also be a comfort for each other as we try to adjust and move forward," said Wilds. "Just words of comfort at this point. Just remembering the good times that we had with Jaden and focusing on those times and also remembering that we have to live every day to the fullest."
According to the release, here's what police say happened:
- Officers responded to an attempted burglary at a home on Randall Street around 9 p.m. on September 24.
- When officers arrived, they found the teen unresponsive outside the home. He was taken to Moses Cone Hospital where he died a week later.
- Witnesses told police there was a fight between the teen and several people who were inside the home at the time.
- According to Susan Danielsen with Greensboro Police Department, detectives are still trying to figure out what led to the fight.
- Investigators are waiting for a report from the Medical Examiner to determine a cause of death.
Danielsen says whether the teen was the accused attempted burglar remains a point of investigation.
Danielsen says at this time, no one is facing charges in the teen's death.
► Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WFMY News 2 App now
Anyone who can provide information about Jaden West's death should call Crime Stoppers at: 336-373-1000.
Copyright 2017 WFMY