GREENSBORO, NC.- WFMY News 2's spring "Food 2 Families" drive is kicking off this week and we need your help to collect 100,000 pounds of non-perishable food for Greensboro Urban Ministry. The agency is seeing a dramatic increase in the need for emergency food orders because so many needy families lost their food because of the recent power outages! Continuing problems with food stamps are adding to the need for food, as well as higher heating costs. We are teaming up with Leadership Greensboro Seniors, Well Spring , and Greensboro grocery stores to restock the constantly emptying shelves of the organization's food pantry.
Over the next two weekends, hundreds of volunteers from more than 50 non-profit organizations and congregations will collect non-perishable food donations at area grocery stores. If volunteers are not present to around collection bins, donors are encouraged to leave the items in food collection boxes labeled "Greensboro Urban Ministry."
Participating grocery stores include:
· Lowes Foods (March 27, 28)
· Harris Teeter (April 4,5)
· Sams Club (April 4,5)
· Whole Foods (April 4,5)
· Food Lion (April 5)
When you are buying groceries you can do a lot of good by purchasing something to donate. Please select one or more canned or non-perishable food items such as:
· Protein sources, tuna, salmon, beef stew, spam, corned beef, peanut butter (18 oz)
· Vegetables: greens, mixed vegetables, peas, tomatoes, corn, green beans
· Fruits: peaches, pears, fruit cocktail, applesauce
· Other items: soups, sugar (two pounds), dry milk, oatmeal, macaroni & cheese, bags of dry beans, rice