Allergy season is no joke! But before you suffer through it, check out these five natural ways to fight allergies, from Health Central.
1. Rinse and repeat - Neti pots were developed in India thousands of years ago, and millions of allergy sufferers swear that clearing allergens out of their sinuses with this gentle saltwater rinse is their key to getting through the season.
2. Step it up a notch - During peak allergy season, try adding horseradish, chili peppers, or Dijon mustard to your foods. These spicy condiments increase circulation to the sinuses and act as a natural decongestant.
3. Consider herbs - Butterbur is a shrub-like plant that experts believe works by acting as an anti-inflammatory - that decreases chemicals involved in triggering allergic reactions. If you take medications, talk to your doctor before trying herbal remedies.
4. Remember the basics - Keep your car and home windows closed on heavy-pollen days, use your furnace's fan rather than window fans for fresh air, shower and change your clothes after being outside, and use sunglasses to help keep pollen out of your eyes when outdoors.
5. Up your intake of fatty foods - Research suggests that people who eat diets full of foods such as salmon, walnuts, flax-seed, and olives are less likely to suffer from allergy symptoms. That's because these foods are high in omega-3 fatty acids, which may reduce inflammation in the body.