ASHEBORO, N.C.-- A suspected case of chikungunya is being investigated in Randolph County.
Mimi Cooper, Randolph County Health Director, confirmed the suspected case and the investigation on Friday. She said the person told the health department they had traveled to the Caribbean.
The Randolph County case is the third reported in North Carolina and in the Triad. It is also the second suspected case this week.
So far, all three patients said they had recently traveled to the Caribbean when they were infected. The disease comes from the Asian Tiger mosquito.
No cases have been acquired in North Carolina, Cooper said in a news release.
Wednesday, Alamance County health officials announced a confirmed case of chikungunya there.
Forsyth County reported the state's first case in early June.
For more information, visit the Center for Disease Control (CDC)