Schemers will be in your neighborhood this weekend ready to "help" you remove fallen trees. Know these warning signs to protect yourself.
GREENSBORO, NC -- Or course if your tree falls, you're going to want it removed. you may have already called a company - and you may have been told - it's going to take a few days to get to you.That's what the schemers are counting on. This weekend - they'll be in your neighborhood - ready to "help" you. It's textbook - and the Attorney General's office reminds you:
- If the company is going door to door and they say their good price is only good right then and there, it's a warning flag.
- Don't pay upfront. Not even a deposit.
- Check out the company. Look at the BBB rating and look online for reviews. you can do it right on your smartphone if your power is out.
- This is a big one: make sure the company is insured. And don't take their word for it. Contact the insurer directly-- they can email you a copy of the insurance certificate.
- And don't miss this. Ask about debris removal. Is the company taking the wood with them? If not, you may have to pay someone else to do that too.