UNDATED -- Techies around the nation and world are talking about the phone that comes out Friday. it's not the iPhone 6 or next Samsung Galaxy. It's the first phone ever made by Amazon.
The Amazon Fire smartphone is loaded with new features, including 3-d video, pictures and maps. But is it worth it? Jefferson Graham with our partners at USA Today got his hands on it early and shared some of his pros and cons.
- Unlimited photo sharing. Every picture or video you take saves to the cloud, for free.
- The cool features! Multiple cameras allow it to shoot in low light, and it has a 3-D screen.
- Firefly: Point the phone at a product, listen to a song, watch a t.v. show, and the phone's firefly feature can figure it out.
- Price: Graham said the price is too high. It's $199 (16GB) or $299 (32GB) on on two-year AT&T contract. Without a contract, it's $650!
- Graham didn't love the contract either. He felt Amazon should have made it more available to people without requiring a contract of any form.
- Designed to shop! He said, "The phone is a virtual cash register for Amazon." Firefly recognizes 100 million different items. Graham said, "Its been designed as a way to sell you products all day long and I want no part of it. It's a money pit and I'm staying away."
In the end, you decide. Again, its available Friday.