Attorney General Roy Cooper alerted consumers about two home improvement contractors that ripped off customers in the triad and in the triangle area.
GREENSBORO, NC -- A 2 Wants To Know Call For Action case is serving as a consumer lesson for people all over the state.
Wednesday, North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper was at the Better Business Bureau in Greensboro, alerting consumers about two home improvement contractors. Cooper says the contractors ripped off customers in the Triad and in the Triangle.
One of the contractors is out of Burlington, and did business as American Kitchen. 2 Wants To Know saw the mess he left behind. The AG says the man behind american kitchen money from 50 people, and didn't complete the work on their homes.The homeowner's say they've lost more than $300,000.
"Many of them saved up for the kitchen of their dreams and the remodeling project has started and their kitchen is a mess," explained Cooper.
The AG is seeking to ban the man behind american kitchen from ever doing this kind of work. But our question was, this contractor hasn't played by the rules so far, who is to say he won't try to do work anyway? A what will the AG do about it if he does?
"We'll go immediately to the court to get them to stop and if they are violating a court order, they can be held in contempt of court and we've had these situations before, and we rely on consumers to get us the information and file the complaints," said Cooper.
Unfortunately it could take years to see a settlement in this case. But you can protect yourself.
Go the two wants to know section. we have a couple great sections on questions to ask and documents to get from your contractor.