LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

KANNAPOLIS, N.C. -- Kannapolis firefighters rescued a woman from an apartment fire early Saturday.

It happened around 3:30 a.m. at The Villas at Forrest Park.

Crews arrived to find smoke pouring from the second floor of the three-story building. They began searching for victims and found the woman unconscious on the floor of her apartment.

Firefighters carried her down the ladder and out of the building to safety. She was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

The fire department says the sprinkler and alarm systems helped stop the flames from spreading and alerted the other residents.

Smoke damaged several units. The Red Cross is assisting.

Officials say improperly discarded smoking material sparked the fire.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wfmynews2.com/story/news/local/2014/03/08/kannapolis-fd-saves-woman-from-apartment-fire/6207761/