Recipes submitted by Cleopatra's Restaurant in Greensboro:
Quail with Smoked Bulgur:
Recipe feed two people:
1 1/2 Smoked Bulgur
1 finely chopped onion
4 cloves of Garlic
8oz of Butter
1 Chopped Tomato
1 Cup of Milk
1 Cup of Water
Salt, Pepper and Nutmeg
- Soak the smoked Bulgur for 1 hr in water.
- Add the chopped onion to 4oz of butter in a skillet on medium high temperature until onion color becomes golden brown.
- Add the smoked bulgur and stir it for 15 mins.
- Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg and chopped tomato.
- Add the milk and water.
- Continue stirring on low temperature for 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400F.
- At the same time, fry the quail in 4oz of butter on medium high temperature for approx. 5 to 7 mins until golden brown color achieved.
- Add the garlic 1 min before removing from the stove.
- Put the quails in a medium-size oven pan, and pour the smoked bulgur mix around it.
- Cook in oven for 10 mins.
- Serve hot.
Konafa (Middle Eastern pastry)
1 lbs of shredded dough
1 1/2 cup crushed Walnuts, Hazelnut or Pistachio (Your choice)
1/2 cup Raisin
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup sugar for the nuts mix
2 1/2 cup sugar for the syrup.
1 tea spoon rose water.
1/2 orange or 1/2 lemon
8oz melted butter
- In a 2Qt pan, stir the sugar in the water until completely dissolved.
- Place on stove on high temperature and bring to a boil
- Turn heat to medium temperature and squeeze the orange or lemon.
- Let it boil for 10 mins.
- Heat oven to 350 F
- Mix all the nuts, raisin and half a cup of sugar with the rose water.
- Cut the shredded wheat by hand to small pieces.
- Cover a 12" diameter pan evenly with half of the butter
- Pour half the butter quantity over the shredded dough.
- Split the Shredded dough into two parts.
- Spread half of the quantity evenly in the buttered pan and press firmly.
- Spread the nuts mix evenly.
- Spread the second half and press firmly.
- Place in oven for 25 mins.
- Pour the syrup evenly over the konafa right out of the oven.
1310 Westover Terrace Greensboro, NC 27408