We are getting in the Mardi Gras spirit with Dewey's Bakery. Danielle DiLizio stopped by to show us how to make the Mardi Gras staple.
You can check out Dewey's Bakery at 262 South Stratford Road in Winston-Salem. Their number is 336-725-8321.
Here is the recipe:
For the filling:
Frozen yeast roll dough that is not part baked (Chefs Mart is a good place to find this)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2/3 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup melted butter
For the icing:
1 and 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons water
Purple, green, and gold colored sugar
1. Roll the dough into a rectangle that's about 5" by 14".
2. Mix all of the filling ingredients into a bowl.
3. Spread the filling lengthwise in the center of the dough, staying 1" away from the ends so it doesn't spill out when it bakes.
4. Lift and fold the bottom edge to the top edge. Pinch a little so they connect.
5. Take the ends and form a circle, pinch again so they connect. Make sure you have a decent empty space inside the circle so when it bakes and rises it will retain the circle shape.
6. Bake according to the dough's instructions, or until a nice golden brown. We did 375° for 20-25 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes.
7. Insert the baby from the bottom of the cake
8. Mix a basic icing with the powdered sugar and water.
9. Having the sugar ready, drizzle icing on top and immediately pour on sugar while it is wet.
10. Decorate with other Mardi Gras themed items like beads, masks, and coins.