Dr. Nannette Funderburk Outlines Strategies To Deal With Deal
GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Reynolds American will buy Lorillard. That's a fact. But there's a difference between facts and feelings. Sometimes, we get so caught up in the dollars and cents of a situation, we don't see what really matters and that's you.
Dr. Nannette Funderburk with the Social and Emotional Learning Group joined WFMY News 2's Tracey McCain on the Good Morning Show following the announcement to talk about how employees can deal with changes that could be on the way.
It's reasonable to assume once word of the merger got to workers, at least some of the 2,900 Lorillard employees started to wonder one of two things. 1. Will I have a job? 2. How long will I have a job?
We don't know the answers to either of those questions but Dr. Funderburk shared five strategies to deal with the fear of the unknown and possible changes.
"Fear, anxiety, concern; it's normal to feel all of those emotions when there's so much change in your life," said Dr. Funderburk.
Read through the tips below and then play the video from the earlier segment for the explanation.
1. Recognize the change. Acknowledge your fears. Write them down.
2. Accept your fear. Don't worry about the things you cannot change.
3. Use your support system. Remember you're not the only person in the world facing change at work. Reach out to a mentor, trusted confidante.
4. In your off-hours, budget time to analyze your situation. Quit imagining worst-case scenarios and instead, focus on the bright side and solutions.
5. Don't let it affect your work
You can get in contact with Dr. Funderburk by contacting the S.E.L. Group by calling 336-285-7173 or visiting them on the web by clicking here.