Memorial Day is Monday, May 28, and there are many events across the Triad that will honor, remember, and thank the men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. If you would like us to add an event to this list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday, May 20: Jamestown Memorial Parade
- Begins at 2:30 p.m. at Jamestown Town Hall - 301 E. Main Street
Saturday, May 26: Memorial Day Ceremony at Maplewood Cemetery
- A ceremony with VFW Post 2087, American Legion 267 and Just One Foundation at the cemetery (235 Bingham Street, Greensboro) will start at 9:30 a.m.
- Scouts from Bethel AME Scout Troop 723 will be posting flags at grave sites from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m.
Sunday, May 27: Memorial Day Lunch for Homeless Veterans
A feast with hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans, drinks and red white and blue desserts will happen at Center City Park in Greensboro at 12:30 p.m. The meal is provided by Green Team Helping Hands.
Monday, May 28: Memorial Day Ceremony in Jamestown
- 11 a.m. at Wrenn-Miller Park across from Town Hall in Jamestown at the Veterans Wall.
- The ceremony will begin with a flag raising, wreath laying, Honor Guard salute and guest speaker.
Monday, May 28: Memorial Day Parade and Celebration in Thomasville
- 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Begins with a wreath-laying ceremony at the Vietnam Veteran Memorial Wall on I-85 and a parade downtown. After the parade, there will be free hot dogs while they last, plus paratroopers and more fun.
- The Piedmont and Carolinian trains will make special stops in Thomasville for people going to the parade.
Trains departing from Charlotte (and those from High Point, Salisbury and Kannapolis) will run on the following schedule:
• Train 80 departs Charlotte at 7 a.m. and arrives in Thomasville at 8:10 a.m.
• Train 75 departs Thomasville at 1:45 p.m. and arrives in Charlotte at 3:04 p.m.
Trains departing from Raleigh (and those from Cary, Durham, Burlington and Greensboro) will run on the following schedule:
• Train 73 departs Raleigh at 6:45 a.m. and arrives in Thomasville at 8:45 a.m.
• Train 74 departs Thomasville at 1:13 p.m. and arrives in Raleigh at 3:21 p.m.
Monday, May 28: Lewisville Legion Post 522 Memorial Day Service is CANCELED due to weather. It will not be rescheduled.
Monday, May 28: Memorial Day Ceremony at Carolina Field of Honor
- 11 a.m. at the Carolina Field of Honor at Triad Park.
- Service will feature Major Karoline Hood, an active duty U.S. Army officer currently serving as a professor at West Point and assigned to NASA. Color guards, special music, the laying of the wreath, taps and other commemorative activities are also planned. The ceremony is open to the public.
Monday, May 28: Dedication Ceremony and Unveiling of Liberty Veterans Memorial and Gardens
- 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. at 443 W. Swannanoa Avenue, Liberty, NC
- The Board of Directors of Liberty Veterans Memorial and Gardens will host a Dedication Ceremony this Memorial Day. The Ceremony will begin with a Veterans March from Liberty Fire Dept. to the Memorial. All Service Veterans are welcome to join the March (Uniform optional) Following the March Pleasant Garden Baptist Church Honor Guard will Post the Colors followed by singing of the National Anthem. Randolph County Honor Guard will provide a 21 gun salute. The Ceremony will include guest speakers and the unveiling of 5 Granite Columns with the engraved names of registered service Veterans. The Ceremony will also include the raising of eleven different flags and reading of an inscription engraved in granite markers at the base of each flag. Veterans March will start promptly at 10:30 AM. Bring your lawn chair. This is an Open Invitation to all. Invite family, friends, & neighbors! No tickets necessary.