GREENSBORO, N.C. — Editor's note: An ALL-DAY FOOD DRIVE for the new 'Food Pharmacy' at Cone Health MedCenter for Women is happening Monday, November 22. Head out to the center located on Third Street in Greensboro to help stock the shelves!
Cone Health is opening a pharmacy, but not the kind you might be thinking of.
It's a food pharmacy, and its goal is to give healthy food to women and families.
“It is disheartening to hear that anyone is without access to nutritious food,” donor Denese Brito said. “Our goal is to impact change for those experiencing food insecurities and we are proud to have created a legacy of support through The Brito Food Program, ensuring patients in need not only get nutritious foods but have an opportunity to learn how to sustain a healthy lifestyle.”
Who can use the food pharmacy?
The Brito Nutrition & Education Center is by referral only for the patients at Center for Women's Healthcare and MedCenter for Women. Patients are referred by their doctor when a food need is identified during an office visit.
What does the food pharmacy offer?
- Medically-tailored food bags
- Nutrition and wellness education
- Wellness coaching with a registered dietician
- Financial health classes
- Resource counseling
How can I help the food pharmacy?
- Volunteer to staff the medical food market
- Give a monetary donation to help expand the number of women and families the market can help
- Donate food on Monday, Nov. 22, 2021, at the drive-thru, contactless food drive. Suggested donations include canned goods, dry goods, spices, oils, condiments, diapers, wipes, sanitary napkins, can openers, sealable food storage bags, and toiletries.