Mothers teach us valuable lessons - including lessons in the kitchen. WFMY News 2's Maddie Gardner's mom, Sarah Gardner, joined the Good Morning Show crew on Sunday to teach them some family recipes.
Granny’s Strawberry Rhubarb Pie:
•2 3/4 to 3 cups sliced rhubarb about 1/4 inch thick
•2 cups sliced strawberries
•2/3 cup granulated sugar
•3 tablespoons cornstarch
•1 cup all purpose flour
•1/2 cup brown sugar
•1/2 cup cold butter cut into tablespoon sized pieces
• In a large bowl combine the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and cornstarch. Mix well. The mixture will start to turn thick and syrupy as it is stirred.
• Roll out the pie crust and place in a 9 inch pie plate, trimming and fluting the edges
• Pour the strawberry/rhubarb mixture evenly in the crust
• In a small bowl combing the flour and brown sugar
• Cut the butter into the flour sugar mixture until it has the consistency of coarse crumbs
• Sprinkle the topping belly over the top of the pie but not covering the edges of the pie crust
• Place the pie on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 50 - 55 minutes until the topping is golden and the filling is bubbling and hot
• Let the pie cook completely before cutting. Filling will thicken as it cools.
Strawberry Bundt Cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting:
•White cake mix
•Small box of strawberry jello
•1 cup of fresh strawberries finely chopped
•2/3 cup of canola oil
•1/2 cup of milk
•4 large eggs
STRAWBERRY CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
•8 ounces of cream cheese
•1/2 cup of butter
•5-6 cups of confectioners sugar
•2 Tablespoons of heavy whipping cream
•1/4 cup of finely chopped fresh strawberries
•Mix cake ingredients and pour into a bundt pan that has been coated with baking spray.
•Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
•Allow to cool completely and turn out onto a plate
•Spoon frosting into a piping bag and drizzle over the top of the cake