FORT WALTON BEACH, Fla — By the time police got there, the dog was laying on the ground and struggling to breathe, according to Northwest Florida Daily News.
The Associated Press reports It was a German Shepard, and it had been chained to a golf cart and dragged down a road in Fort Walton Beach.
The dog later died from heat exhaustion and had multiple injuries on its paws.
Dean Woodyatt was arrested and charged with animal cruelty and resisting arrest. AP reports people on the street saw the 79-year-old dragging the dog and tried to intervene. He allegedly tried to get back on the golf cart and drive away, but officers stopped him.
Woodyatt was arrested and taken to the Okaloosa County Jail. He’s charged with animal cruelty and resisting arrest.
What other people are reading right now:
- What will Florida restaurants need to do to reopen? A food safety expert weighs in
- US will likely reach 1 million coronavirus cases on Tuesday
- Mile-wide asteroid to pass close to Earth on Wednesday
- What Florida beaches are open? A county-by-county list
- Blue Angels to fly over Tampa this weekend to honor health workers
- Do your glasses fog up when you wear a mask? Here's how to fix that
- 2020 Atlantic hurricane season: This could be an active few months
- Hotlines, websites offer the latest on COVID-19
FREE 10NEWS APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter