In light of VF's announcement Monday that it was moving its global headquarters from Greensboro to metro Denver, here's some things you may not know about widely-known apparel company.
- VF controls 55 percent of backpack sales in the United States according to a 2015 New York Times article.
- VF was founded in October 1899 and first established in Pennsylvania as the Reading Glove and Mitten Manufacturing Company by John Barbey and a group of investors.
- In 1914, the company was renamed Schuylkill Silk Manufacturing when it expands into silk lingerie.
- In 1919, the company changed its name to Vanity Fair Silk Mills, Inc.
- In the 1980s, VF became one of the two largest jeans makers in the world, with 25 percent of the $6 billion market.
- In 1998, VF moved its headquarters from Wyomissing, Pennsylvania to Greensboro.
- In the 2000s, VF acquired brands such as Eastpak, Nautica, Kipling, Napapijri, Reef, 7 For All Mankind, lucy, Eagle Creek, Ella Moss and Splendid.